The Milliard Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed Review
The Milliard orthopedic memory foam dog bed that has many supporters among its buyers. It comes in small, medium, large and extra-large sizes and boasts 4" of foam thickness designed to provide quality pain-relief for dogs with aching joint pain and arthritis issues.
Many buyers purchase these orthopedic dog beds for younger pups that don't suffer from these issues- finding that Milliard's ability to contour to their dogs' bodies provides a comfortable resting spot, as well as helping to ensure their long-term health. The foam actually is comprised of two distinct layers- one of the two-inch layers has a density of 3 pounds which is layered over 2 inches of polyurethane foam.
The reason why it is constructed of two layers of foam is because since the memory foam will conform to your dog's body weight, another layer of foam is required to underlie it and provide the memory foam itself a strong and firm foundation.
The cover is also waterproof so if your pet has an accident, or your Malamute has soiled the outer liner chewing up a milk bone, you can just remove it and toss it in the wash.
Make sure to measure your dog prior to purchase- or use a convenient online sizing calculator.
Milliard provides a handy table that outlines which size bed is best for which breed of dog-they recommend a small dog bed is ideal for dogs like Yorkies, Chihuahuas and even cats; a medium is great for Scotties, Beagles and Corgis, a large is ideal for Pitbulls, Collies and Labradors; while an extra-large is good for German Shepherds, Greyhounds and even Great Danes.
One user purchased two of these Millard dog beds because she owns a pair of 70 pound German shepherds that suffer from joint pain. She opted for a memory foam dog bed over dog beds that are filled with cheaper fibers because she wanted a long-term solution for her pets ultimate health and comfort.
She recommends the quality of the foam, the ease of removing the outer cover, as well as its water-proof claims. She also says that she can use the dog beds as dog crate mattresses- merely inserting them into their traveling crates for extra comfort.
There are some users who say that the bed isn't truly waterproof- with dog owners complaining that if the bed is urinated on that it will soak into the memory foam, drenching it, and that washing it is difficult, sometimes ruining it.
One handy DIY tip is to wrap the memory foam in a garbage bag to prevent an accident from completely ruining the memory foam and requiring you to unintentionally damage it by putting it in a washing machine.
Another user who owns a Boxer says that because of hereditary hip issues and a type of limping dysplasia that commonly afflicts larger dog breeds, she was excited to purchase a medium-sized Milliard orthopedic dog bed- and she says that it is highly comfortable for her pet.
She also comments that the large size would be ideal for a big mastiff or Rottweiler-saying that two German shepherds can easily fit on the large at the same time.
Exposing fake memory-foam dog beds
The Milliard Dog Bed Overview
The Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed gives your dog the same comfort and support as memory foam beds made for us.
This bed is 4-in thick and made from two layers of foam the top layer is 2-in polyurethane memory foam the bottom is a 2-inch high-density foam that will not sag in the middle over time.
The bed also comes with a removable washable zipper cover that is water resistant, and can be removed easily for washing. The cover has a nonstick bottom so the bed will not slide around the floor.
The Milliard’s memory Foam is certified by CertiPUR-US.
- Milliard 4″ Dog Bed provides a good combination of firmness and durability.
- Memory foam gives your dog relief from arthritis and aching joints, also forms to your dog’s body.
- Milliard dog beds are made from high-quality materials designed to last a long time, unless you have a ‘chewer’ dog or puppy.
- Cover has non-slip beads on the bottom and is washable.
- Small:24”x 18”x 4”; weight 2.8 lbs
- Medium:34”x 22”x 4”; weight 3.8 lbs
- Large: 40”x 35”x 4”; weight 9.2 lbs
- XL: 46”x 35”x 4”; weight 9.8 lbs
CONSTRUCTION AND MATERIALS
Milliard dog bed consists of two parts: the memory foam and the cover.
Memory foam: It’s formed by two layers of high-density foam for a medium firmness feel, measuring 11 IFD (Indentation Force Deflection, a measurement for the stiffness, firmness, and load bearing capacity).
The top layer is a 2” thick 3 lb premium, memory foam to give the mattress a soft feel and 2” thick high-density polyurethane foam as a foundational firm base.
The memory mattress does not have a liner and it’s covered by the external cover.
Cover: Is made from 100% polyester fleece with a non-slid bottom with grip dots.
The cover features a zipper on two sides for easy removal and it has a TPU (Thermoplastic polyurethane) coating to make it water resistant.
SIZES & SUITABILITY
Some examples of sizes and suitable breeds:
—Small: Chihuahuas, Pugs, Pomeranians, Yorkies, Toy Poodles, Shi Tzus
—Medium: Beagles, Jack Russell, Scotties, Corgis, Shelties
—Large: Schnauzers, Boxers, Huskies, Bull Terriers, Border Collies, Labradors, Pit Bulls
—X-Large: German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Rottweilers, Greyhounds, Collies
THE GOOD AND THE BAD: WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY
- Fleece of cover is very soft
- Good balance of firmness: soft memory foam on top and firm foam on the base for support
- The bed has water resistant zippered cover
- Cover is washable (check cons for more info)
- Cover does not shrink after wash
- Bed does not sag over time
- Affordable price
- Real memory foam on top layer
- Good for heavier dogs
- EXTRA BONUS: Dogs seem to take to this bed easier than other brands
- Top of cover is water resistant but liquids can flow off the sides and get to the foam from there
- Anti-slip beads come off in the wash and dryer
- Maybe too firm for smaller dogs
- Foam mattress has a better quality than the cover
- Strong smell when opened but goes away in time
- Zipper on the cover is not high quality
- The mattress is not 100% memory foam since the 2-inch base is made from high-density foam
- YOU MAY NOT MIND: Light color of cover doesn’t match with dark haired dogs
- Get a waterproof replace cover to have as backup when washing the original.
- Stitch zipper for more reinforcement.
- After opening the bed wait at least 24 hours to air out the chemical smell of the mattress (that all memory foam have).
- Make sure to do this before allowing your do to lay on it, because your pet may not adapt to the bed if it has this smell. Also, this will give enough time for the Mattress to expand to proper size.
- Hand wash this cover and air dry, otherwise the anti-slip pads will come off and be careful with the zipper.
The Milliard Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed has good quality memory foam and will stand up to time. Here are some points to consider about this bed:
The downside to this bed is the cover which is not very durable as well as the anti-slip pads come off in the washing machine or dryer making a mess.
The Milliard Orthopedic dog is a good buy for the money.
This dog bed will help to support your dog’s body and is firm. This bed is not soft so if your dog likes a ‘sink-in’ feel this bed might be too firm.
√ Milliard dog bed might be suitable for:
- Dogs that need support on there joints and bones
- For Dogs that sleep stretched out and don’t like there heads supported
x This Bed might not be suitable for:
- Puppies that chew or chewer dogs
- For dogs that have urine accidents
- Dogs that have allergy to polyester