The Big Shrimpy Dog Bed Review
The Big Shrimpy faux suede dog bed comes in four sizes: small, medium, and extra large. So no matter whether you have 100 lb. + Bull Mastiff, Great Dane, Irish setter or a Weimaraner, you can find a dog bed size that fits for you and your pooch.
As well if you have a small dog like a Chihuahua, Papillon, Maltese, Pomeranian or a Pug- a small-sized Big Shrimpy dog bed would be a good fit.
While historically these dog beds have received favorable feedback, recent purchasers have complained that the memory foam stuffing packs down way too quickly-even after fluffing it users say that it gets a little bit too lumpy.
One Schnauzer owner who complained about this issue said that they're not sure the dogs care too much but that it doesn't appear to be comfortable, and certainly doesn't seem to be the same quality product users have grown to expect from the Big Shrimpy dog bed.
Be sure to measure your dog prior to purchase- or use a handy online sizing calculator.
Another buyer who has gone through several big Shrimpy dog beds over time, said that the first two were high-quality, but this one, recently purchased in 2016, is way too puffy, and the memory foam is not resilient enough to accommodate a 90 pound dog.
It ends up puffing up around his sides, almost swallowing him whole, making this particular buyer suspect that the feeling materials have gone downhill in quality over time.
While the other bedding materials-the liner, the zipper are still top notch, the filling materials in the lot be desired- so we do not recommend this to purchase.
It's probably a good idea to keep an eye on this product to see how it develops over time-perhaps big shrimp he will address these quality concerns and returned to producing quality dog beds.
February 19, 2018
February 19, 2018
February 18, 2018
February 18, 2018
February 17, 2018
Big Shrimpy’s Original dog bed features a faux tough suede material on top of the cover and a stiff nylon pack cloth on the bottom and sides.
Inner liner is made of ripstop nylon making it liquid and odor resistant.
The liner, cover and even the Smartfill fiber filling, are machine washable and dryable.
- Sturdy pack cloth bottom and sidewalls
- Inner liner is water and odor resistant
- Extra cushioning with Smartfill fiber filling
- Four sizes available: Small / Medium / Large / Extra large
- Small: 29″ x 23″ x 6″; 4 lbs
- Medium: 35″ x 29″ x 6″; 5.5 lbs
- Large: 47″ x 35″ x 6″; 16 lbs
- XL: 59″ x 47″ x 6″; 27.6 lbs
- 3-year limited warranty for manufacturing defects
- Made of 81% recycled materials
- Cover comes in 10 different colors
- Replacement parts are available
CONSTRUCTION AND MATERIALS
Bed consists of: An inner liner stuffed with recycled poly fiber and an outer cover.
Poly fiber: A polyester fiber (Smartfill) made from recycled plastic that is washable and recyclable. This filling provides a thick cushy feel.
Inner Liner: Is made of rip-stop nylon that is odor and liquid resistant. The inner liner is also washable. The liner has a zipper on one side.
Outer Cover: Is made of tough but soft faux suede on the sleeping surface and a 420 denier black pack cloth base (on bottom and side). The top faux suede comes in 11 colors to match the dog’s hair. The cover features a zipper on one side, the same size of the inner liner’s zipper for easy filler removal if needed.
SIZES & SUITABILITY
To help you choose the right size bed, measure your dog from tip of the nose to where the tail begins and add 10 inches or more depending on how much extra room you want for your dog or the area you have.
Use the calculations above and this weight chart to determine what size you should get:
Small: up to 20 lbs.
Medium: up to 55 lbs.
Large: up to 110 lbs.
XL: 100 lbs plus
THE GOOD AND THE BAD: WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY
- Chew resistant
- Removable stuffing
- Liner and cover are zippered
- All materials washable including stuffing
- Overall well made
- Adjustable filling
- Nice sink in feel for pets that like to cuddle
- Recycled filling, environmentally friendly
- Some units can fray around zipper
- Lumpy after several washes (you can remove the filling, though)
- Over-filled (you can adjust the amount of filling)
- Puffs up when dog steps on it
- After unpacking, adjust filling when folded in half to level it out.
- To wash the fiber filling you need to get the special bag for this purpose.
Big Shrimpy Original Faux Suede Dog Bed is a well-made bed of durable high-quality material that will stand up to time. Here are some points to consider for this bed:
- With this type of filling you will have to adjust it to level it or remove some to make it how you want it.
- Although the overall quality of this pet bed is good, a few customers complaint the zipper got some fray around.
Big Shrimpy Original Faux Suede Dog Bed is a great bed for dogs that like that soft sink in feeling. This bed will not provide the firmness as other memory foam beds.
√ This dog bed is suitable for:
- Dogs that like soft beds and that sink in feel
- Dogs that sleep stretched out without head support
x This bed may not be suitable for
- Dogs that like to have head support (you will know this if your dog rests its head on its own paws when sleeping)
- Chewer dogs