[Review] The Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed
The Coolaro elevated pet bed is, by far, one of the most popular options on the market today if you are looking for a high-quality, durable and elevated pet bed. It comes in three different sizes, small, medium and a large.
The small is 22.75" x 34.75" x 8", the medium is 25.5" x 42" x 8", and the large is 31.5" x 51" x 8".
There are also different color options including green, gray, terra-cotta and nutmeg. The elevated pet bed has a max weight of 100 pounds and is constructed from a knit mesh fabric that is engineered to allow cooling breezes to pass through and keep your pooch nice and comfortable.
The steel frame is powder-coated for durability, and is designed to be strong but lightweight, requiring only a screwdriver from the user to assemble. The non-slipping rubber feet grip the ground securely, no matter whether you use this elevated pet bed indoors or outdoors.
The Coolaroo Elevated Dog Bed
Users on the whole are fantastically pleased with this elevated pet bed, saying that they stand the test of time, no matter whether you use it indoors and outdoors. One user says that he has kept his elevated pet bed outside, year-round, subject to snow, sun, wind and hail.
He owns a pair of Siberian Huskies as well as a large male boxer- all of these animals use the Coolaroo bed constantly, sometimes all of them climb onto the bed at the same time and to this date it has not torn or sagged in anyway.
He also commends the manufacturer because it is truly easy to assemble, taking less than five minutes from unpackaging it to having it completely put together in the backyard.
Assembling the Coolaroo pet bed
Another dog owner says that their Golden Retriever had been diagnosed with a terminal form of cancer and that this particular Coolaroo elevated pet bed was the only space he was able to get any quality rest and relaxation on since his diagnosis.
Some users with multiple dogs end up purchasing multiple elevated Coolaroo pet beds-saying that particularly for canines with joint problems and arthritis that they are great solutions for outdoor animals to enjoy the nice weather, as opposed to foam beds that could never withstand the abuse of the elements.
Indeed, for elderly animals or those that are predisposed to developing painful joint dysplasia issues an elevated pet bed keeps pets off of hardwood and linoleum tile, while providing a cooling mesh surface that doesn't overheat the way memory-foam dog bedding might.
Although the manufacturers say that it should be used with dogs that way over 100 pounds, one German Shepherd owner with a dog that does indeed weigh over 100 pounds found that it effectively supported his pooch, though he's not able to completely stretch out on it.
A Shiba Inu using the Coolaroo as a trampoline
Other users describe purchasing one of these specialty Coolaroo elevated pet beds for one of their elderly animals and finding that it ends up getting overtaken by another pet in the household- so they have to purchase two of them so that each dog has one.
Yet another reviewer describes his overactive dog that, no matter how much he exercises him, insists on staying up all night long, keeping the family and children awake. For whatever reason, his ADD dog has fallen in love with this pet bed, and now the entire family gets a restful night sleep.
In terms of keeping it clean, one users says that all you have to do is hose it off-this is another great feature of this bed as opposed to memory-foam options that can get saturated with urine, in some cases, and be completely ruined.
Overall this is an inexpensive and high-quality elevated bed option with a tremendous amount of user support and feedback. You can be confident that you are purchasing a quality item when you go with the Coolaroo brand- it has built up a solid reputation for a reason.
Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed is designed to keep your dog off the ground or floor, keeping your pet’s body away from hot, cold and hard grounds.
The knitted fabric of Coolaroo is breathable, allowing breeze to pass through and around to cool your dog. Especially suitable for long haired dogs or pets that overheat.
The knitted fabric is flea and mite resistant, easy to clean and flexible. This fabric has a special treatment to resist UV degradation, having 5 year fabric warranty that the material won’t fade. Also, the knitted special fabric resists mold and mildew when used outdoor.
The unit comes in 3 sizes: small, medium and large and in colors, Gray, Green, Terracotta and Nutmeg.
- Elevated dog bed can be used indoor or outdoor
- It keeps the dog off hot, cold or hard floors.
- It avoids your dog to have contact with, dirt, fleas and other insects.
- Knitted fabric resists mold and mildew
- Resilient mesh fabric adapts to the dog’s body and it’s flea and mite resistant
- UV-treated knitted fabric to resist fading, with a 5-year warranty that it won’t fade.
- Breathable knitted mesh fabric allows breeze to pass through and around to cool the dog’s body
- Lightweight powder-coated steel frame requires a screwdriver for assembly
- It comes with non-slip rubber feet to prevent sliding and to protect floors
- Bed is lead free
DIMENSIONS & SUITABILITY
The bed has 2 dimensions: Leg to leg which includes the legs that add 4” on each side (8″ in total) and the sleep area.
Large: Leg to leg: 51″L x 31.5″W x 8″H Sleep area: 43″L x 31.5″W | Weight: 7 lbs. Suitability: Dogs up to 100 lbs. It fits dogs such as German Shepard, Doberman, Dalmation, Golden Retriever. Any dog bigger than that, may not fit comfortably in it.
Medium: Leg to leg: 43.4″L x 25.5″W x 8″H | Sleep area: 35.4″L x 25.5″W | Weight: 6 lbs. Suitability: Dogs up to 75 lbs. Breeds such as Beagle, Cocker Spaniel, Kelpie, Border Collie, Boxer.
Small: Leg to leg: 35.5”L x 21.6”W x 8”H | Sleep area: 27.5”L x 21.6”W Weight: 5 lbs. Suitability: Dogs up to 50 lbs. Suitable for breeds such as Pekingese, Maltese, Scottish Terrier, Toy Poodle, Yorkshire Terrier, and German Spitz.
CONSTRUCTION AND MATERIALS
Coolaroo Pet Bed consists mainly of 2 parts: Frame and Cover. The frame is made from black powder coated tubular steel. The frame needs to be assembled with a screwdriver. The assembling parts are:
| Small & Medium Size Parts
— 4 L tubes (legs)
|Large Size Parts
— 4 L tubes (legs)
The cover is made from high density polyethylene knitted which is a poly fiber resilient mesh fabric that is weather resistant and easy to wash.
The knitted fabric density is 185 gsm (grams per square meter) making the fabric resistant and durable, but not chew-proof. The cover knitted fabric can take a good scratching from a dog, but not excessively. See a video here of a puppy digging the cover without damaging it.
This fabric is UV stabilized and it features a combination of yarns patterned to let breeze pass through and repealing heat as well. This cot bed is Lead-free and none of the materials used are toxic.
THE GOOD AND THE BAD: WHAT CUSTOMERS SAY
- Elevation keeps the dog off cold floors in winter and off hot concrete or ground in summer
- Special breathable fabric keeps the dog cool during hot weather
- Raising the dog from the ground prevents contact with dirt, fleas and other insects.
- Design makes it a little harder to chew than traditional stuffed pet beds (though is not chew-proof)
- Relatively easy to assemble (if watching the instructional Youtube video, otherwise, it’s not that easy)
- Cover is durable, flexible and it does not get dirty easily
- Good versatility, the bed can be used indoor or outdoor
- Cover is washable and it can be hosed off too
- The bed is lead free and none of the materials used are toxic.
- Enough room on each size
- Shade colors blend with any décor
- With non-slide feet to protect floors
- Good value for money
- BONUS: Nice variety of shade colors that blend with any decor
- The assembling can be very frustrating if you don’t watch the instructional video
- Bed legs make the bed much bigger than you expect (outward shape of legs add 8” extra), using quite a bit of space on your room (see tip 1)
- Frame can get rusted overtime from being hosed off and from staying outdoor (see tip 3)
- Cover is not waterproof and not chew-proof
- Hard to get the cover to dry in cold days (though cover doesn’t need to be washed very often, it stays clean for long time)
- Screws need to be tightened often or the bed frame starts to get loose (the more playful the dog, more often). This problem may happen more in Large and Medium size than Small size.
- Screws can get rusted and seize over time when the bed is used outdoor or washed (see tips 3, 4)
- The bed is stable when straight on the ground or floor but it does not stay straight when you pick it up, it wobbles due to the design of the assembling (see tip 2).
- Knitted fabric is not soft and some dogs may not like lay on it
- YOU MAY NOT MIND: The cover must be either hosed off or vacuum, it can’t be throw in the washing machine.
– If you are using the bed inside make sure to check the bed’s full dimension, including legs, to see if you have enough room for it (the Large size takes a big space and it may be larger than you think).
– If you need to move the bed before make sure to re-tighten the screws to make the frame more straight and easier to carry.
– To avoid rusting on frame and screws, apply black Rustoleum paint on all metal pieces. If you have the frame and screws already rusted, soak the parts on Evapo-Rust to clean them from rust. Once clean and properly dry, apply anti rust-oleum such as Rustoleum paint.
– If you leave the bed outside a good tip is to loosen and re-tighten the screws every two months or so to avoid the screws from seizing. Another option is buying better quality screws.
– The bed must be either vacuum cleaned or hose rinsed off and air dried.
– Make sure to keep your dog’s nails trimmed to avoid accidents in case they scratch the knitted fabric too much.
Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed offers a good alternative if you are looking for an economic bed for your dog to use outside and during hot weather with its special breathable fabric. Excellent bed for dogs that tend to overheat.
Although the structure of the bed is firm when staying put on the floor or the ground, it’s not completely firm when lifted to carry or move it. Also, the bed is not fold-able which makes this bed not really that portable and suitable to use camping, at least the large size. Also, the structure tends to loosening over time with the dog’s activity.
This bed elevates the dog to about 3 to 6 inches off the ground, depending on the dog and bed size.
√ Coolaroo Elevated Dog Bed is suitable for:
- A normal active adult dog
- Houses with a large space available if using indoor (L or M size bed)
- Use outdoors
- Dogs that tend to overheat or long haired dogs, specially in summer
x The bed may not be suitable:
- For dogs that scratch too much or destroy pet beds
- For crazy active dogs or puppies
- For traveling (assembling is not a breeze)
- For dogs that love to nest
- Dogs with arthritis or disabilities